Thursday, November 27, 2008

Nairobi Slums




Last weekend, my friend from K-Rep Bank drove me around some of the worst slums in Nairobi. These places we could only visit during the middle of the day on a Sunday. My digital camera was making my friend nervous so I could not take as many pictures as I liked.


We stopped and chatted with a local mechanic and shopkeeper to hear stories about how many people are killed in certain streets and that you can arrange a murder for around 3,000 Kshs or $43. We actually had to pay a tax the slum lord just to drive through his neighborhood. They do not get too many Americans walking around their neighborhoods and I attracted plenty of attention. Although, at no point in my time in Nairobi have I any incidents of being threatened.
It was still a fun experience to some of the rough parts of the city.

No comments: